Saturday 16 December 2017

REVIEW - AEG Ultramix KM4000 mixer (with AO.com)


Now, nobody is going to proclaim me as the next Gordon Ramsay, but I like to think that I can hold my own in the kitchen. Normally, like most men, I do everything manually so whether it’s kneading dough or mixing up a storm, I’m putting the work in.


But we live in quite busy times. I’m getting busier and let’s face it, I’m a little bit lazy – I’d rather spend 15 minutes with my feet up on the sofa with a cup of tea rather than doing all the work in the kitchen – so I was delighted to get the chance to review the AEG Ultramix KM4000 mixer to see if it could improve my culinary skills and make everything that I do in the kitchen that little bit easier.
Let’s look at the product.

The first thing I noticed when picking up the package was that it was quite a heavy box. Now, I know weight doesn’t guarantee quality but it’s a good early indication that you’ve spent your hard earned money on something with a bit of substance.

Taking the device out of the box the first thing I noticed was the absolutely stunning colour. My device came in a vibrant red which would look brilliant in any kitchen, especially in mine as it matches the other red items I have on display.

Unlike many mixers, you actually get TWO mixing bowls with the AEG Ultramix KM4000. You get the larger 4.8l bowl, and also a smaller 2.9l bowl (that handily fits inside the larger bowl for easy storage). I always like to try to get value for money so by getting 2 bowls instead of 1 makes me feel like I’ve got a bargain with this device.

You get 3 attachments – the whisk, the beater and the additional dough hook.

Finally, you also get a splash guard so that when your device is in operation, the splash guard can prevent all those messy accidents with the wet liquids you may be mixing. I’m quite a messy person in the kitchen so anything that can try to prevent that is OK in my book.
Over the years, I’ve picked up a lot of gadgets for the kitchen and most end up stored away in a cupboard after just 1 use, never to be seen again but the KM4000 is unlikely to suffer the same fate. It has taken pride of place on my worktop and the versatility of the device is going to ensure it stays on top as a permanent fixture in my kitchen.

Let’s have a little look at how it works.
There’s a handy little lever on one side that works as your locking mechanism. This ensures the device is very sturdy and won’t lift until the lever is pressed. Just a gentle push on the lever and up comes the top of the device. Release the lever and it locks it in place so that while you are working, while you are attaching your bowl or adding your ingredients, there’s no chance of the mixer falling down and causing an accident. Push the lever again, and the top lowers and locks back into place.

I’ve already pointed out that it’s quite a heavy device, it’s unlikely to slip on your worktop while you are operating it. This is helped by the fact that AEG have added rubber feet to the base of the mixer giving it even more grip, ensuring there is little chance of accidents while you are working with it.
2 final things to mention. Firstly, there is an expansion mechanism at the front of the mixer. This allows you to buy additional attachments for the mixer such as a meat grinder. While these are optional extras, it’s good to know that when you have made an investment in a device like this you have the option to take it even further in the future.

Finally, on the opposite side from the locking mechanism you have your power button. Quite often, mixers have 10 speed settings and the AEG KM4000 is no different but the main difference here between the AEG mixer and many others is that this device uses a dial mechanism to choose the speed rather than a slider. I like to think that this gives me a little more precision control over my speed setting. Spin the dial, set it to the setting you want, and you’re good to go.
One thing I love about the AEG Ultramix KM4000 mixer is the LED lights such as the blue LED light around the power button. I’m a typical boy. Add any LED lights to anything and I’m going to like it but in this case, the LEDs are not just for aesthetic reasons. LED light is also used to illuminate the bowl so you can easily see what you are mixing, even in the dark. Now, I’m not advocating midnight mixing in the dark but if you were inclined to do so then the LED lights on the AEG mixer would help you mix your midnight mix to perfection.

Something else that I really like about the KM4000 mixer is the size of the attachments. They perfectly fill the bowl ensuring nothing gets missed, the entire mixture gets combined and nothing gets left at the side of the bowl that you would have to mix manually once the device has finished.
I tested the device using the beater to whip together the topping for a Nutella cheesecake, and also using the dough hook to make some pizza dough. Both were combined perfectly with the desired consistency using the mixer and it was far easier than if i had mixed, or kneaded them by hand.

The proof is in the pudding, and the main course, and i was delighted with the outcome of both dishes.
Having put the AEG Ultramix KM4000 to the test, it’s time for me to sum it up.

My top 3 things that make this a fantastic choice:
  1. The striking looks. It’s going to take pride of place in any kitchen.
  2. From a personal point of view, I love the LEDS. Not just the cosmetic ones, but the underneath that illuminates the bowl while you are using it.
  3. Finally, the fact that you get, not one, but TWO bowls so it definitely feels like you are getting value for money when you purchase this device.

The negatives? Well, the only consideration that I would urge you to think about is the size and weight of the device. It’s not something that you are going to want to pick up and store away in a cupboard any time that you are not using it but with the way it looks, you’ll be more than happy for it to take pride of place as the star of the show in your kitchen.

Having never used another mixer, I can’t really compare it to other devices and say whether the AEG is better or worse than them but what I can do is try to ascertain whether you will be happy with your purchase should you opt to invest in the AEG mixer. With the extra bowl, the versatility of the device and the stunning design I think you would be more than happy with the AEG taking it’s place in your Kitchen.
From me, it’s a big thumbs up. I’m happy with mine and I am sure you will be more than happy with yours should you decide that the AEG Ultramix KM4000 is the device for you.


(The views expressed in this post are entirely my own. While I received the product for free for the purpose of testing it and reviewing it, I was under no obligation to provide a positive review and my opinions are based on my own, honest assessment of the product.)

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I've never had a mixer before and reading about this one wants me to go and get one! Mmmm Nutella cheesecake! Making me hungry! Lyndsey cooksey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyndsey. A mixer definitely is a luxury item in most kitchens unless you bake regularly, but having one provides the inspiration as you are determined to get good use out of it.

      Delete