Tuesday 12 December 2017

Good things come to those who wait.

9 months. 40 weeks. And then some.



Thursday 7th December was the expected due date of this little man. I know it's only an estimation and that most first pregnancies result in a late arrival. I was all set up expecting it to be late, but then a friend had their first baby a week early. It got the brain thinking - maybe our little man will make an appearance a week early too?

So instead of the anticipation ramping up on the 7th, it started a week early. Every movement, every moment - is it happening? Then the day came and went, and with each passing day the frustration sets in.

I know. He'll be here soon. Every moment we wait is another moment closer to the big day.

I'm the sort of person that leaves things to the last minute, who thrives working under pressure. But for this - i've been ready. In fact, we've largely been ready for about 3 months now. Everything is bought, everything is in position, the nursery is ready for it's very special visitor.

I did most of the shopping. S came up with ideas of what she'd like - i locked in most of the final decisions and did all the shopping, the unboxing, the building, the decorating. Everything is perfect and sitting waiting. There's just one thing missing and he's keeping us waiting.


As a dad in waiting, I feel a little helpless right now. I've done all I can do to prepare for the arrival. I'm braced for my role in helping mum through the labour and delivery. I can't wait to take on my role of protector once the little guy is out in the world.

For now -  i'm on the outside looking in, waiting for my next role, trying not to let my frustration pass on to mum.

They talk about pregnant mums struggling to sleep in late pregnancy and S has had her fair share of restless nights due to discomfort. Sleep has also been at a premium for dad to be too - awaking to make sure mum is ok, awoken by the restlessness, or an overactive mind stressing that baby is not here yet.

Will sleep work tonight? Will baby come tomorrow? Will it snow making the trip to the hospital more trecherous?

There's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes.

One thing's for sure - i cannot wait to meet this little guy, and i really hope it is soon.

5 comments:

  1. What a lot of waiting but it is soon over, as well you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the birth of your baby. I was lucky as both of my daughters were born a little early and I therefore didn't have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww this is lovely! I have had four and still magical each time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damon is a beautiful little boy, definitely worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete